VMware released version 9 of their VMware Workstation software. VMware Workstation 9 delivers best-in-class Windows 8 support and innovative new features that transform the way technical professionals work with virtual machines, whether they reside on their PCs or on private enterprise clouds. So, what’s new in VMware Workstation 9?
- Windows 8 support
- Graphics Improvements
- OpenGL for Linux Guests
- Restricted Virtual Machines. This new capability allows the author of an encrypted virtual machine to require users to enter an additional password to change their virtual machine settings.
- WSX. A prototype of a new VMware Workstation web interface that enables users to access their Shared virtual machines via a web browser on a tablet, smart phone or PC without installing any additional applications or browser plug-ins
- Downloading Virtual Machines from vSphere
- USB 3.0
- Nested Virtualization, implementation of virtual Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI extensions
- Hyper-V has been added to the Workstation 9 guest operating system list
- Virtual Performance Counters. VMware virtual processors now include the capability to enable virtual performance counters which will allow developers to run profiling applications, such as Intel’s vTune, in a virtual machine.
- Remoting Improvements
- Disk Cleanup. A new management option to easily recover disk space.
- Quick Switch II
- Thumbnail Actions
- Saved Filters
- VMware Player
Read the VMware Workstation 9 release notes for a complete list of new features.