Some exciting news today from our friends at Veeam!
Yesterday Veeam released version 7 of their Backup & Replication software. As you all know, Veeam Backup & Replication is a powerful, easy-to-use and affordable solution for protecting your most critical asset—your data. In version 7, Veeam is taking modern data protection to the next level. With innovations that disrupt the market for backup and new features that significantly enhance your data protection strategy, you get a leading solution that is reliable, robust and helps you get even more from the investment you’re making in virtualization.
Key features include:
- Built-in WAN Acceleration: in v7, Veeam makes offsite storage easy with Built-in WAN Acceleration. Caching, variable block length data fingerprinting and TCP/IP protocol optimizations result in up to 50 times faster transfers of Veeam backups across the WAN while eliminating the need for additional backup jobs, copy scripts and capabilities like storage-based replication.
- High performance Backup from Storage Snapshots: Veeam Backup & Replication v7 takes advantage of SAN snapshots again to offer new capabilities for powerful data protection. Exclusive innovations, including direct VMFS access and the ability to leverage VMware Changed Block Tracking, enable instant VMware snapshot commit and let you create backups and replicas from storage snapshots as often as you like and whenever you like.
- Native tape support:
Veeam Backup & Replication v7 offers you an easy way to copy files and backups on tape, with support for virtual tape libraries, tape libraries and standalone drives. Files, VMs and restore points are tracked on tape, enabling you to easily locate items and making restores easy.
- Virtual Lab for replicas:
With new SureReplica, you can automatically verify every restore point in every replica. You can also turn your standby replicas and DR infrastructure into valuable resources for item-level recovery with U-AIR (Universal Application-Item Recovery) and isolated environments for testing, training and troubleshooting with On-Demand Sandbox.
- Enhanced backup and recovery for vCloud Director:
Support for vCloud Director (vCD) goes deep with integrated visibility of the vCD infrastructure in the backup console and backups that include the metadata and attributes associated with vApps and VMs. Recovery enables restore of vApps and VMs directly back to vCD, and even includes support for fast provisioning.
- vSphere Web Client plug-in:
Monitor your backup infrastructure directly from the vSphere Web Client, VMware’s next-generation administrative interface for vSphere. The plug-in delivers at-a-glance and detailed views of job status and backup resources, alerts you of potential backup issues, and also simplifies capacity planning and identification of unprotected VMs.
- Virtual Lab for Hyper-V:
Veeam Backup & Replication v7 brings SureBackup, U-AIR and On-Demand Sandbox to Hyper-V. SureBackup eliminates risk by automatically verifying the recoverability of your backups, while U-AIR enables quick, agentless recovery of objects from any virtualized application and On-Demand Sandbox creates isolated environments for testing, troubleshooting and training.
- Enhanced 1-Click Restore with self-service recovery:
1-Click Restore in the Enterprise Manager web UI now offers the ability to restore entire VMs, and powerful new delegation options let you safely put restore tasks in the hands of business users. This results in faster recovery times and decreased burden on IT staff.
- Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint:
Offering instant visibility, advanced search capabilities and quick recovery of individual items in SharePoint databases, Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint saves you time and effort. With built-in e-discovery and agentless recovery, you now have an affordable tool for browsing, searching, and selectively recovering SharePoint items from Veeam backups and replicas.
Beside the new key features, there are also 75+ additional features and enhancements! You can read more in the What’s New document available here.
Visit Veeam website for more info and a free trial!