VMworld 2014 U.S. is behind us now and we’ve learned a lot about new and upcoming product releases from VMware. It is time to focus on the VMworld 2014 Europe event which will once again take place at the Fira Barcelona Gran Via from 14 to 16 October in Spain, Barcelona. I know from past years that VMware always saves some announcements for Europe so I am looking forward to be there once again. 🙂
This will be my 3rd VMworld so here is my top 5 reasons to go to VMworld.
- First, my favorite one. Networking – A lot of great European bloggers are attending VMworld so it is a great opportunity to meet them! You finally get a chance to meet the person behind the blog, exchange experience and share ideas.
- Keynotes & Sessions – Keynotes are particularly interesting if you want to learn about VMware’s roadmap and product releases/updates. Sessions are more in depth preso’s of specific products. This year SRM, vCloud Suite, VSAN, NSX and of course EVO:RAIL are high on my agenda.
- Solution Expo – Another favorite of mine. There are a lot of vendors showing new stuff and providing you a 1-on-1 demo of their products. This is your chance to talk to the experts from the vendors.
- Labs – As you probably are aware of the Hands on Labs from VMware, the labs at VMworld are basically the same but updated and there are mostly new labs added to the content catalog with the latest VMware products. A great way to get some hands-on-experience!
- Entertainment – There will be a lot of parties, believe me. 🙂 You will have to make a choice because you cannot attend them all! Usually, the first party will be the vRockstar party at the Hard Rock café in Barcelona and it will be held on Sunday evening.
Next, since it is my 3rd VMworld, let me give you some tips on what you can expect.
- First of all. There are 2 Fira’s in Barcelona. The Fira de Barcelona near the Placa d’Espanya and the Grand Fira near the Hotel Porta Fira and that’s where the VMworld takes place. Take this in account when you are booking a hotel room. Make sure you are close to a metro station so you don’t have to walk too much in the morning and in the evening. 🙂
- Schedule Builder. There are a lot of interesting sessions, I know, you cannot attend them all. First, choose your favorite sessions and then, using the schedule builder, choose the most interesting one. Usually a week after the event, all sessions will be available online so you can watch them all later if you want. 🙂
- Wear comfortable shoes. Really important one. You will walk a lot at VMworld! And don’t forget extra socks. 🙂
- Don’t drink too much at the parties. Yes, the drinks and food at the parties are usually free but don’t overdo it. You will be a wreck the next day. 🙂
When I’m not attending a session, I usually hang out at the Solution Expo or I’m at the Community (bloggers) lounge. If you see me, don’t hesitate to say hi! 🙂 hope to see you all there!
Have a great stay, enjoy the event and have fun!