When performing a P2V or a V2V migration process, it’s a good opportunity to reduce the number of processors that the virtual machine will use. When you are migrating a multiprocessor server to a uniprocessor virtual machine, keep in mind that the HAL of the virtual machine needs to be changed from multi to uniprocessor. So, when the migration process is finished and the virtual machine is running, follow these steps to change the HAL from multiprocessor to uniprocessor.
- Login to the VM with the Administrator account.
- Open the device manager (devmgmt.msc).
- Select the processor and right-click to update the driver.
- In the Hardware Update Wizard, choose “No, not this time” and click Next.
- In the next window choose “Install from a list or specific location” and click Next.
- Select “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install” ratio button and click Next.
- In the list with compatible hardware, select the Uniprocessor PC and click Next.
- When the wizard completes, click Finish to end the Hardware Update Wizard and restart your VM.