Another basic command, but essential for health monitoring of your hosts when using a Syslog Server. Here is a quick how-to.
- Connect to your host through SSH or open the DCUI.
- Setup the target Syslog Server and place logs in an unique subdirectory: # esxcli system syslog config set
- Open the ports for Syslog on the firewall: # esxcli network firewall ruleset set –e true –r syslog
- Apply the configuration with: # esxcli system syslog reload
- Verify the configuration with: # esxcli system syslog config get
Note: mind the double dashes in step 2.
Verify if the ports are open on the firewall though vSphere Client or vSphere Web Client. If the syslog settings are not reflected in the Advanced Settings of the host after you configure them, they will be visible after a reboot.
Be the first to comment