- VM operations (Power on, off, reset, suspend, etc.)
- Creating a new VM, from scratch or from OVF/OVA (limited OVA support)
- Configuring NTP on a host
- Displaying summaries, events, tasks and notifications/alerts
- Providing a console to VMs
- Configuring host networking
- Configuring host advanced settings
- Configuring host services
Please refer to the ESXi Embedded Host Client fling page for any known issues, system requirements and if you want to provide some feedback.
How to install ESXi Embedded Host Client
The install procedure is pretty simple. You have 2 options:
- Download the VIB, upload to your ESXi host and install.
- Install directly from internet if your ESXi host has access to the internet.
Since the ESXi host in my home lab has access to the internet I went with option 2.
- Enable SSH on your ESXi host.
- Enter the maintenance mode.
- Login as root and execute the following command to download and install the VIB: # esxcli software vib install -v http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmw-tools/esxui/esxui-2976804.vib
- When installed successfully, you should see the following installation result.
- Exit the SSH session and disable SSH on you host.
- Exit the maintenance mode.
- Open your internet browser and navigate to https://<IP_or_FQDN/ui of your ESXi host, log in and you should be presented with the inventory of the host.
How to remove the ESXi Embedded Host Client
If you ever want to remove the ESXi Embedded Host Client simply follow the procedure above and enter the following command: # esxcli software vib remove -n esx-ui
Note: if you want to automate the install of the ESXi Embedded Host Client for all hosts in a cluster, please see this blog post from Brian Graf.