Excluding a ESXi host form vROps licensing and thus preventing it from being monitored is not a good idea in general. However, there are some use cases where you would like to exclude ESXi host from vROps monitoring. One case I came across recently is one where a customer used a migration host to move VM’s from one environment to another. The vROps license was overused and an alert was triggered in vROps. To prevent this from happening again, I needed to exclude the ESXi host from vROps licensing. Here is a quick how-to.
Exclude ESXi host from vROps licensing
- Open a web browser and navigate to your vROps user interface.
- Login with the administrator account.
- From the Home page go to Administration -> Licensing.
- Select the Licensing Groups tab, highlight the Product Licensing group and click the edit button.
- Make sure the proper license key is selected and click Next.
- First, minimize the Define membership criteria and the Object to always include.
- Next, from the Filtered Objects drop-down menu, select vSphere Hosts and Clusters.
- Expand the vSphere World, vCenter Adapter, cluster, and select an ESXi host you want to exclude from the vROps licensing. Click Next.
- Preview the changes and click Finish.
All done! The selected ESXi host is now excluded from vROps licensing and the license overuse alarm should not be triggered anymore. 🙂