In this blog post we will take a closer look at installation and configuration procedures when installing the vCenter Hyperic software. Before we go any further, let’s first define what vCenter Hyperic actually is.
VMware vCenter Hyperic (Formerly known as VMware vFabric Hyperic) is a component of the VMware vCenter Operations Management Suite. It monitors physical hardware resources, operating systems, middleware and applications running in physical, virtual and cloud environment.
The vCenter Hyperic ships in a variety of packages as described below.
- vCenter Hyperic vApp
- vCenter Hyperic Installer
- RHEL RPMs
In this case, I will use the vCenter Hyperic vApp. The vCenter Hyperic vApp contains two virtual machines, one for the vCenter Hyperic server and one for the vCenter Hyperic database.
Deploy vCenter Hyperic
- Open vSphere Client and connect to your vCenter Server.
- Deploy the vCenter Hyperic OVF template as you normally would.
- Accept the EULA, provide a name and location, select a deployment configuration, select a cluster and a host, select a resource pool if applicable, select a destination storage for the VMs and select a disk format.
- On the Network Mapping page, select the appropriate destination network. Make sure that you have an IP pool configured on that network or you will receive an error message and you will not be able to deploy the VMs.
- Select the IP allocation policy. In my case I used Fixed policy and manually configured the IP addresses.
- If you also selected Fixed, then you will have to provide the DB and Hyperic Admin password on the next page as well as the IP addresses for the Hyperic Server and the Postgres Database.
- Finally, click Next to start the OVF deployment.
- When it’s finished, power on the vApp.
- Open the vCenter Hyperic Management Console by opening your browser and navigating to http: //<IP_or_FDQN>:7080
- Login with the default username hqadmin and password you entered in step 6 during the OVF deployment.
- You should see a dashboard similar to mine.
This concludes the installation and configuration of vCenter Hyperic vApp.