How To: VMware Site Recovery Manager 5 – Part 2: Installation
Posted by Marek.Z on 3 May 2012
In the previous part I created a database and an ODBC connection for the deployment of SRM 5. In this part we will focus on the installation process of SRM 5 which is quite straightforward if all of the prerequisites are met. After the installation we will have to download and enable the VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager Extension plug-in for administration of SRM 5.
- Login to the vCenter Server, locally or through RDP, on the Protected Site and start the installation wizard.
- Click Next and Next again. Accept the EULA and click on Next.
- Accept the default installation folder or change it if you like. Click Next to proceed.
- Select “Install vSphere Replication” and click Next.
- Provide the vCenter Server credentials for the Protected Site and click Next to proceed.
- Accept the Security Warning and select “Automatically generate a certificate” in the Certificate Type Selection window. Click Next to proceed.
- Enter the Organization name and Unit in the Certificate Generation window. Click Next.
- Fill in the required information in the VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager Extension window. In the Local Site Name, make sure you provide a suggestive name so you can easily track it back if necessary. Provide an e-mail where administrative alerts and notifications will be send (mandatory). Select the IP address from Local Host drop down menu and click Next.
- In the Database Configuration window, select SQL Server as the Database Client. For the Data Source Name, provide the name of the ODBC connection created in step 2 of the ODBC connection setup and the credentials of the database user (i.e. srmadmin) created in step 4 of the database setup. Click Next to start the installation.
- Wait until the installation is completed and you are done!
Repeat the steps above for the vCenter Server in the Recovery Site.
Next step is to download and install the vCenter Server SRM Manager Extension plug-in.
- Open the vSphere Client and login to the vCenter Server on the Protected Site.
- Navigate to Plug-ins menu and open the Plug-in Manager.
- As you can see, the VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager Extension is available for download and installation. Click on the Download and Install link.
- Install the certificate and click on Ignore.
- When download is finished, click on Run to install the plug-in.
- Follow the steps in the installation wizard and click Finish to complete the installation.
- Click on Close to close the plug-in manager window.
- Go to Home in the vSphere Client. The SRM 5 plug-in should now be visible under Solutions and Applications.
Remember to install the plug-in also on the vCenter Server at the Recovery Site. Proceed to part 3 where we will connect the Protected Site to the Recovery Site.