After configuring the replication of the virtual machines in SRM we can now create Protection Group(s). So what exactly is a protection group? Well, it’s quite self-explanatory 🙂
“A protection group is a group of virtual machines that fail over together to the recovery site during a test or a recovery procedure.”
The protection group can be used in one or multiple recovery plans which we will create later. Protection groups can be Array-based or VR-based. In this case we will create a protection group based on vSphere Replication since it was configured in the previous part.
Create Protection Group
- On the Protected Site, open the Site Recovery Manager and select Protection Groups in the left pane. Click on Create Protection Group to start the wizard.
- In the Create Protection Group wizard, select the Protected Site and vSphere Replication as the protection group type. Click Next.
- In the Select Virtual Machines window, select the VMs you want to add to this Protection Group and click Next.
- Provide a suggestive name and alternatively a description for this Protection Group and click Next.
- Review the settings and click on Finish when ready.
- Wait until the Protection Group is configured. You can monitor the progress in the task pane.
Now that the VMs are protected we can start building a recovery plan. Continue to part 9 where we will configure a recovery plan for our VMs.
- SRM 5 Part 1: Preparation
- SRM 5 Part 2: Installation
- SRM 5 Part 3: Site Pairing
- SRM 5 Part 4: vSphere Replication
- SRM 5 Part 5: VRM Pairing and VR Deployment
- SRM 5 Part 6: Inventory Mappings
- SRM 5 Part 7: VM Replication